Friday, July 8, 2011

Reading Roundup: Author, Patricia Polacco

 The past few weeks, we've been reading through many of Patricia Polacco's books.  I know as an adult, I get fixated on one or two authors (Paullina Simons--The Bronze Horsemen series, Jodi Picoult, Philippa Gregory, Rick Riordan). And LD has his favorite series too reading through all the Magic Tree House books, Beast Quest series (he's on number 36), Andrew Lost and the A-to-Z Mysteries.

We have all really enjoyed Patricia Polacco's books -- all three came running when I pulled them out. (Often I read them while the kids were eating.)  I don't know if the kids had a particular favorite, but I loved the message of Babushka's Doll (don't pester and nag all day) and Just Plain Fancy (appreciate being who you are).
This is a cute story about a woman/teacher whose cat runs away.
This book is an adaptation of the ole 'going on a bear hunt' this time with goats and girls.  Both of my girls liked it and it led to many renditions of "can't go over it, can't go under it, can't go around it..." *7


This story is about a pig who steps in to fill the shoes of her music-teacher owner. *7.5

I like the fact that these books have such a meaty, good story to them.  This was about a store where customers can find anything they need... and they come to find friendship and good quality human interaction and caring.  I liked reading a story with such good basic values. *8

This is the true story of a girl who gets cancer -- and the special teacher who helps her through the year, who also has cancer.  This topic was a little heavy and I decided only to read it to my eldest. 


1 comment: